It's been a very long and trying week. Watching the Haiti coverage has been heartbreaking, and when any tragedy happens the first question is "Where is God? And doesn't he care?" Our answer to this question is God cares about us all, and all the big and small things that concern each and everyone of us.
We've already written about when
- tragedy strikes your home town (and the title alone is answer enough to Pat Robertson's comments on Haiti)
So, we won't retread there.
2. And because so many blog posts and news articles lately have written, and jeered, about "does God care" about football or Haiti? Here's our answer:
Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Luke 12:27-8 “Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!
1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;
- Why does God care about football? Because he has kids playing on both teams.
- Does God care about the suffering in Haiti? Yes, because they are his children.
- Does God care about unborn children? Yes, because they are his children.
- Does God care about gay men and lesbians? Yes, because they are his children.
- Does God care about atheists? Yes, because they are his children, even though they may be estranged at the moment.
- Does God care about non-Christians? Absolutely. They are his children.
- Does God care about you? Absolutely. He cares about all the big and little things that concern and interest you. The thing is, he'd like for you to return the favor.
Do you care about all the people mentioned above? Because if you are a Christian, we are his body and he is waiting on us to show the world his love; not condemnation, procrastination, or ignorance.
Do what you can, but do something this week to show someone in need that God does care and even cares about the little things.
Back to Top